Saturday, May 19, 2012

Matti Paints: Subject Pat

Painting Patrick has to be my favorite painting experience so far.
Subject Pat: Not pictured- dignity

We’ve always gotten along well. It’s hard to believe that we’ve only known each other for a few months, but in those few months we have got to grow very close. We have a shared love of video games, Jesus and terrible jokes. That, and his laugh has to be one of the most contagious I’ve ever heard.
This may have helped matters

There’s a sense of joy when it comes to Pat. It permeates everything he does, and every person he comes in contact with is a little richer because of it.
I think it’s apparent from the playlist he chose as well.
Not pictured: Dignity, No diggity and Giggedy Giggedy
Song 1

Song 2

Song 3

I really wanted to showcase his positivity and I think that I was able to bring out a lot of it. I think in a way Patrick did me a favour in this since the colours he chose were remarkably compatible. the fact that he chose all three primary colours to me shows a willingness to experiment. That being said his choice of green was significant not only because it goes flawlessly with his skin tone, but is considered by many artists to be a kind of fourth primary colours. ( the spectrum used by tv’s is red, blue and green) But the unusual choice came in the form of gold. For someone so exceedingly humble, the choice of gold was one I found curious simply because it seemed so out of place with the others. Patrick claimed it was because it would go flawlessly with his skin tone (it did, but that’s beside the point) I claim it was because he’s secretly arrogant and likes to shine every so often. (it’s allowed)
Song 5

Song 6

The painting process this time was a lot more enjoyable. For the first time, as we were nearing the end of the process I was afraid that the paint job would be incomplete. I was afraid that I would run out of time and not be able to do true justice to his personality. In the end though, I like to think that we made something really special and unique.
Song 8

Song 8- Arm detail

I really love the way it turned out, especially the details on the face and the shoulder. Ironically, my favorite parts of the piece aren’t entirely noticeable in the final picture. That being said, I feel like his picture is uniquely him. It’s curious, fun and uniquely beautiful.
Presenting Pat:

No comments:

Post a Comment