Monday, May 21, 2012

Matti Paints- Subject Andrew

This is Andrew.
Andrew and I were co-workers at Second Cup. Now that I've moves on was so excited at displaying Andrews unique, one-of-a-kind personality for the world to see. He is one of the sweetest and most beautiful people I've ever met and I was eager to bring these qualities to show the world.
There were a few very interesting things in this collaboration. For one, Andrew approached me with an idea to become the golden boy. I don’t know the complete story, but from what he shared with me, a lot of it plays into his heritage as a Manitoba boy. I’d like to know the whole story, but until then, I wanted to make him as much of an embodiment as i could manage. The colour choices were understandably simple: Gold, brown, yellow, cadmium and white. The mix gave his skin a shimmer, and the brown contrasted to add a little bit of depth. In the begining I wasn’t sure how successful the blend would be, but I’m happy to report it seems to have worked out remarkably well. Also, Andrew was the only one to provide his own music which added an interesting dynamic to the proceedings. (Although I did have to narrow the list down from 16 to 9). As a result the painting was simpler and I tried to focus more on making his skin look golden than creating elaborate designs. Overall, I think it paid off.

Song 1

Song 2

Song: I cant help but think how much this reminds me of K D Lang

Song: Looking good!

Ke$ha
We had a good time. I'm going to miss not seeing him on an everyday basis but part of the beauty of this project is I will always have a reminder of who he was.
So presenting: Andrew!

No comments:

Post a Comment